Wednesday, March 26, 2014

***Just a Carcass***
     I know it is weird to have a heading titled “Just a carcass” but trust me this makes sense! A couple of days ago I was driving and I saw a dead animal approaching and I couldn't stop myself from looking at the animal…looking away…looking at the animal…looking away. There was something about it that made me want to see how bad the hit really was….SICK I KNOW! But I felt bad for the animal and couldn't help but stare at the pain….I have to say it was pretty gross. Then as I approached the animal, got one more glance, and turned away…the Holy Spirit spoke to me! He said to me to “be careful that we do not treat people this way.” The first thought of these words in my mind it didn't really make sense but over the past couple of days it has really sunk in A LOT!
     You see when people are hurting, lost, need support, or whatever the case may be,  a lot of times as Christians we look at these people…look away…look at these people…look away. We think to ourselves…man that looks bad…”I will pray for you” and then keep on driving. We don’t think for a second to stop for these people to actually make sure they are “still breathing” and try to fulfill the need that may be at hand. Instead we just use the “I will pray for you bit.” Now, I am not saying that prayer is a bad thing…it is the most powerful thing that we can do as Christians. BUT this is not where Jesus wants us to stop! He uses us to encourage those around us, fulfill their needs, and to the point that no one is in need! He states this clearly in so many different ways throughout the scriptures. However, the one that sticks out to me the most to me at this moment and sums it up clearly is found in 1 John 3: 16-20.

1 John 3: 16-20, “16 This is how we have come to know love: He laid down His life for us. We should also lay down our lives for our brothers. 17 If anyone has this world’s goods and sees his brother in need but closes his eyes to his need—how can God’s love reside in him?
18 Little children, we must not love with word or speech, but with truth and action. 19 This is how we will know we belong to the truth and will convince our conscience in His presence, 20 even if our conscience condemns us, that God is greater than our conscience, and He knows all things.”


     Talk about some harsh words! As Christians we have to do a better job at seeking to help those around us! WE can’t look at people as carcasses on the side of the road and say…”OOOhhhh, that looks bad, someone should take care of that!” WE need to start taking responsibilities for ourselves and others! People and their problems are not just here for our entertainment. Let us be the tools that God uses to change the world one person at a time by not being hypocritical but truly being the “Children of Light” He calls us to be! 

No comments:

Post a Comment